|Armour® Thyroid; Nature-Throid® NT; Westhroid®|
|Reasons not to take this medicine|
- If you have an allergy to beef, pork, thyroid replacement, or any
other part of the medicine.
- If you have any of the following conditions: Recent heart attack,
uncorrected adrenal insufficiency, over-active thyroid
|What is this medicine used for?|
- This medicine is used as a thyroid replacement or supplement in people
whose thyroid does not work well.
|How does it work?|
- Thyroid works to fuel some of the metabolic processes (eg, growth,
development, and glucose/protein/fat production) in the
|How is it best taken?|
- Take on an empty stomach before breakfast.
- Do not take iron products, antacids, sucralfate, or cholestyramine
within 4 hours of this medicine.
|What do I do if I miss a dose?|
- Take a missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed one. Return to
your regular schedule.
- Do not take a double dose or extra doses.
- Do not change brand, dose, or stop taking medicine without talking
with healthcare provider.
|What are the precautions when taking this
- Ineffective or dangerous when used for weight loss.
- If you are 65 or older you will be started on a very small dose.
- Use caution if you have heart disease. Talk with healthcare provider.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine dye, be cautious (some tablets
contain). Talk to your pharmacist.
- Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make
sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling
about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of
face, lips, tongue, throat; or any other symptoms
|What are the common side effects of this
- Chest pain, rapid heartbeat, racing heart, shortness of breath,
decreased ability to exercise, increased nervousness or
|What should I monitor?|
- Thyroid function tests (blood test) need monitoring. Talk with
|Reasons to call healthcare provider
- Signs of a life-threatening reaction. These include wheezing;
tightness in the chest; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; fits;
swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Chest pains, fast heartbeats, shortness of breath, or decreased
ability to walk.
- No improvement in condition or feeling worse. It may take 1-2 months
to feel better.
|How should I store this medicine?|
- Store in a tight, light-resistant container at room temperature.
Protect from moisture.
- Do not share your medicine with others and do not take anyone else's
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep a list of all your medicines (prescription, herbal/supplements,
vitamins, over-the-counter) with you. Give this list to healthcare provider
(doctor, nurse, pharmacist, physician assistant).
- Talk with healthcare provider before starting any new medicine,
including over-the-counter or natural products (herbs,
Copyright © 1978-2001 Lexi-Comp Inc. All Rights Reserved